Well, my first attempt at helping my toddler go diaper-free at night-time failed miserably this past weekend. Even though he’s been diaper-free during the day since he was 15 months old (thanks to us practicing elimination communication since he was a newborn), he just isn’t ready to go without a diaper at night. That meant we had some urine stains on his mattress to deal with. Luckily, I have a great recipe that removes urine stains and smell from mattresses, carpets, etc. It’s safe and works very well!
- 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide
- 3 tbsp of baking soda
- Just a drop of dish detergent
- Mix hydrogen peroxide and baking soda in a spray bottle (glass preferably)
- Add a drop of dish detergent, and gently swirl the mixture but not too much to avoid generating too much froth.
- Spray the soiled area well with the mixture.
- Let it sit for an hour or so. Once dry, you can vacuum the remaining gritty baking soda residue if you wish. The stain (and smell) should be gone after that!