Immunity-Boosting Herbal Infusion Freezer Pops
With the warmer weather upon us, we have started to make our own popsicles and freezer pops to help keep the family cool. The recipe I’m sharing with you today is one that’s not only refreshing for the hot weather, it’s also a great for boosting your immune system and can even be used to fight off viruses while keeping you and your little ones hydrated.
And if you don’t need an immunity-boost, you can make regular popsicles by using just the smoothie mix ingredients listed below and add an additional 1/4 cup of coconut milk or almond milk to the blend.
- 1/3 oz dried hibiscus flowers – high in vitamin C and has anti-inflammatory properties, also helps lower blood pressure
- 1/3 oz dried elder flowers – antiviral
- 1/3 oz dried peppermint leaves – for taste
- 1/2 cup coconut milk / yogurt / kefir
- 1/2 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup date paste (more if you like it sweeter)
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- Combine the herbs in a 1 L size glass jar and pour boiled water into the glass jar until it is just full. The herbal blend should fill about 1/3 to 1/2 of the glass jar.
- Let the herbs sit in the water for at least 30 minutes, and preferably up to 4 hours.
- Strain out the herbs and make sure to squeeze out an remaining liquid from the herbs as you are doing so.
- Put a 1/4 cup of the herbal infusion with the smoothie mix ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mix into your preferred freezer pop / popsicle mold (my favourite are the silicone ones shown in the first photo of this post) and leave it in your freezer for several hours. I even poured some into a silicone ice cube mold and made some fun shapes for my son to just hold and eat (warning – this can be messy!).
- Store the remaining herbal infusion in the fridge to use for more freezer pops / popsicles in the future, or just drink the herbal infusion straight up!