Healing Calendula Body Salve Recipe
Many body moisturizers on the market are filled with fragrances, parabens, and other harmful chemicals, as well as fillers that don’t really do much for our skin. The good news is that it can be really easy to make an effective body moisturizer. This recipe here is particularly good for dry, itchy skin, which is perfect for the winter time. It contains calendula, which is terrific for chapped skin, shea butter, which is high in antioxidants Vitamins A and E, and leaves the skin supple with a satiny feel, and coconut oil, which strengthens underlying epidermal tissue, removes dead skin cells, and penetrates the skin well. Beeswax is also used, as it helps create a protective barrier on your skin from environmental damage, while holding in moisture.
Check out my recipe below and let me know what you think!
- 20 mL (1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon) Coconut Oil
- 20 mL (1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon) Shea Butter (or Cocoa Butter)
- 10 mL (2 teaspoons) Beeswax
- 40 mL Almond Oil (or Olive Oil) infused with Calendula
- 10 drops teaspoon Vitamin E oil
- 10-15 drops of any of these essential oils / extracts or others
- Lavender (Lavendula angustifolia),
- Lemon (Citrus limon), or
- Vanilla extract
- 4 oz. stainless steel tin or glass jar
- Mix beeswax, shea butter and coconut oil in a double boiler or glass bowl over a small saucepan with an inch of water. Bring water to a boil and lower the heat to a simmer, and stir until the ingredients are melted.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly before adding the almond oil, vitamin E oil, and essential oil or vanilla extract.
- Pour into container and let it cool completely before using.
- Shelf life: 1 year.
- Store in a cool dry place.